Saturday, March 2, 2013

Overdue Report

12/8/12
My wife and I just recently moved to Ocean View, right on the water. We purchased a home knowing we wanted to raise it but we were waiting for FEMA to put us on the list. In the mean time Hurricane Sandy hit, and the max flood happened during the highest day of storm surge forcing my home underwater. I have been blessed with many people including fellow kayak fisherman Jason B and Lee Williams. Jason allowed me to borrow a dehumidifier and air filter while Lee came over and helped me rip out all of my carpet and drywall. This community continues to impress me from its work in Heros on the Water (HOW) to reaching out and helping an individual in need. I got messages from fishermen I had never met in person, who were willing to help in any way. Needless to say I am impressed with the character of those around the sport.

Image

After a few weeks off the water I needed to bend my rods. I would be out of town the following week so I had to make this week count and wouldn’t you know it a noreaster blew in with cold temps, howling wind and heavy rain. I decided to head to the Elizabeth River and make the best of a bad situation. I fished the main river and found plenty of Speckled Trout up to 21”.

Image

After my trip I was eager to get out for Tautog but the winds would not cooperate. Every weekend was a carbon copy of the last, windy. Finally the wind was forecasted to slack and I went out with Kayak Kevin (KayakKevin.com), Lee Williams, and Rob Choi (Angling-Addict.com). We planned to make a long drift and catch some of these Striper that are making their way down the bay. It took a while but we finally got on some fish. These two were 42” and 41” and were caught on eels free lined.

42”
Image

41”
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment