Saturday, March 2, 2013

Virginia Beach Boondoggle

10/6/12
The week of boondoggle I knew I had to get on some fish. I have to leave for a week for the Marines so I had to make every trip count. The winds were favorable so I went to my favorite spot, the CBBT. The first day I go for Sheep and Tog. I drop and before I get set next to the pilings I am being bit, I rear back and hang into a solid fish. After a quick fish I leg a smallish sheep into the boat.
Image


I keep fishing and I set the hook and I think its another sheep but it begins to run out instead of down. I kick away from the piling and Kevin says "its a drum!". I bear down on him tightening my drag, I see some color and know its a Black Drum, I feel a surge of adrenalin because that would be my 5th specie citation of the year. I get it close and leg it in. I knew it was short but was happy to share the terrific fight on fairly light tackle. The measurement came in at 37", 9 inches short of citation.
Image
Image

I continue thinking the tog bite may be hot but I ended with just one after a long paddle.
Image

The next day I had Honey Do's, I had to build a hand rail to appease my home owners insurance. Lee came over and we knocked it out, finished painting a wall then hit the next slack with plans for sheep.
Image

My first piling I begin feeling the familiar grinding and double thump of a sheepshead bite. After losing several fiddlers I get a good hookset and feel the power of an adult sheep fighting for every inch of water. I leg her in and snap a couple photos. We showed Ocean Kayak team member Jean McElroy what a real sheepshead looks like. The day wears on and we decided to call it a day.
Image
Image

The next day was the Boondoggle kiddy rod tourney. I begin by cathing a small red on a mirror. Allie hooks into a nice ribbon fish and because its longest fish has a real shot at winning. I drop some fiddlers and find a baby Sheepshead, my 5th in 8 days. I then catch slot red and decided with the wind blowing it was time to go in.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I had a great time meeting everyone involved with the Boondoggle, I hope they can come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment