Monday, September 8, 2014

Slump Busting

The last couple weeks of fishing have produced both some highs and lows on the water. We started in a slump that didn't want to quit, but after this past week, it's safe to say that our luck has turned around!

To start, I got out with Meghan, who came up from Florida for Labor Day weekend. The plan was to do something easy, but she refused, saying she wanted to do something that required a little more skill. We started by running the buoys, but no one was home, so we began scouting for Cobia and found a rat -- it's not a trophy, but it's action!

We put some lines out and trolled for a bit, with a couple Spanish bites, landing and a pretty big one -- a weight citation, one of only 7 reported this year in Virginia!

She wanted to try kayak fishing, so we went for trout, but her first fish was a baby flounder. She finally got a bite from a 22" trout, her new personal best kayak caught fish!

Later that week, my buddy Lee and I got an invite to head out with Brian Olszyk of Stretched Out Fishing ( ). There were five of us on the boat and I let him know Lee and I have had had a string of bad luck lately, but he was confident we would get on some fish. Well he was right, as we had a limit of Cobia within 90 minutes and it all happened so quick I didn't get any photos! But it was awesome and he managed to break the curse. I really owe him and Jerry thanks for a great trip and the quote "if you're not yelling, it's not Cobia fishing".

The next day looked good before the storms hit. So Lee and I took my Kencraft out with our buddy Alex. Once we got rigged up and in the tower we immediately began seeing pods of fish. The first two didn't want to eat and the third pod was only two fish. The first keeper ate an eel and once next to the boat I tossed a jig and hooked the rat for fun while running the boat! A double! We landed both and kept the legal fish.

We kept looking, hooking another keeper. Then as I see a pod, Lee casts and I tell him not there as he comes tight. Lots of weight, the fish took forever to surface staying deep, but when it did it brought up a pod of 40-60lb Cobia with it. Honestly I was too shocked to get a cast off. It was amazing. We boated the 50lb stud and kept looking. Within 5 minutes as the guys are rerigging, cleaning the deck I see a turtle covered in big cobia. There were so many as the turtle surfaced he pushed one cobia out of the water. Alex had a shot, but missed the cast and they went deep. We kept looking and called out a location of another keeper to a guide close by, he hooked up and thanked me later.

All in all, it's been a great couple weeks for fishing, and now that the slump is over, it's time to get out there and start landing more big ones.

Please also check out this months The Fishermans Journal, I had an article and photos published about fishing new locations in different parts of the country. You can view it here:

No comments:

Post a Comment