Saturday, March 2, 2013

A day of firsts and a fourth

9/3/12
I went out this week looking for some fun. Kevin said he had a spot he wanted to try. We get to his spot just before low tide and its literally every cast we hook into 13-17 inch Reds. Many times the bait wouldn’t get to the bottom before hooking up. I was like a kid in a candy store. It was awesome seeing so many healthy young Reds.
Image

While running through them I hooked into my 4th tagged fish of the year (Speck, Spade, Trigger, and now a Red). This one was a 13” Red who looked to be tagged for some time. I scratched off some of the algae and took my pic to report the catch. I left the tag in and let it swim back to his pals.
Image
Image

I was still itching to fish for tog / sheep so Kevin, Lee, and myself made it over to find a smorgasbord of fish. Kevin got just about everything under the sea. I hooked into a tog and baby Black Drum. Any one that knows me knows I am chasing 6 Virginia Trophy Citations (I have four of six) but this drum was about 37” short of my citation!
Image
Image


Here is a tournament worthy Flounder, yall better watch out.
Image

After catching so many Reds I began thinking of getting Allie on her first. She is a teacher and cant fish with me during the week. So Before I went to work on Sunday I took her out to catch her first Red. At the very first stop she caught three to my one! Then we moved for bigger Reds and I caught what felt like a solid drum. It turned out to be a fat Croaker measuring 15”, with citation being 20”.
Image
Image

We headed back in with smiles on our faces and I told her to troll in. She did and caught her first speck on artificial. The Speck went 15” and after a few pics was released.
Image

Over all we both had a great time on the water and she is more pumped than ever to fish the tournament!

Check out Kevins Report at http://www.KayakKevin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment