Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tagged fish double header

Last week I was dying to get on the water and chase some deep water species but the wind wouldn’t allow it. I got an invite from Kevin (www.KayakKevin.com) and Lee to fish Rudee Inlet. First we went for Reds and Specks. I hooked up with two pups but both are rather small. Virginia had almost no drum last year, some say it was the harsh winter others disagree and say it goes in cycles. Everyone agrees that there were non to be had last year, so it always brings a smile to my face to catch one no matter the size.

Image


We moved on and found some baby sheepshead and played with them for a while, I ended up with around ten and Kevin had 12 or so.

Don't be jealous of the stache...
Image

Kevin says hi!
Image

I recently moved and now have a launch in my backyard, I hadnt been out before so one morning before work I tried and found another pup willing to play.

Image


The following week I still wanted to head out for Spadefish. Pound for pound some of the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught. I went out the first day with Rob Choi (www.angling-addict.com). We had a great time catching between 12-16 apiece. I even caught one Rob had tagged just days before.

Image
Photo by Rob Choi

Image
Photo by Rob Choi

Image

The following day had favorable wind in the morning so Kevin, Lee and I made it out and caught more spades. It says something about how fun they are when we paddle a 6 mile round trip to catch these guys. I also got my second tagged fish in as many days, a 12 ¼” trigger fish which made my day. I took down the number to report it and released it. I called Rob and found out he had caught it close to where I was a month earlier. It really shows you how important it is to Catch Photo and Release (CPR) these fish, if Rob hadn’t I would not have caught them or enjoyed my day as much. Please take what you want but just because it’s a keeper doesn’t mean you have to.

Image
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment