Saturday, March 2, 2013

Toggin till the toggins done

I went back out on 3/20/12. The forecast was temps to 75 and nearly no wind. Well that was off... On the way out the cool wind was in my face and the fog bank was stout. I ended up using the bridge as guide to my spot. I wouldn’t recommend doing this unless you have some experience in the area. The tide can push you away from the bridge and you would not have any land marks for bearing.

Image


I got to my spot and begin getting my bait stole. On the third drop I begin finding my groove. I caught tog until the tide completely turned. Then the action shut down. I sat there catching a 1 to 1 ratio of tog to oyster toads :lol: . I kept getting bit but when setting the hook would lose my leader. But I was getting bit so I stayed, I felt some tension on my line and brought it up to find I had caught my own leader, hook and weight!! I was pleased but what happened next was hilarious. I got another tug and set it hard. Pretty good pressure so I knew it had some size and boy was I right, a citation Oyster toad! I even got another one of my rigs back because the hook was still in its mouth! I tried a few other pilings and it just wasn’t happening.

Image

Image


The fog never lifted and the temps were still in the 60s. With the next slack over four hours away I called it a day and was off the water by two with a total of nine tog and a big 21 inch female caught and released.
Image

Image

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment