Saturday, March 2, 2013

Allies Report

 3/7/12
After snagging his first citation trout yesterday, Jay was pretty pumped about getting me out to the Elizabeth River to get my very first trout. After I got off work around 2:30 we headed out to Oceans East to gear up. We got to the launch by 4 and it was a beautiful day; I was getting pretty excited about kicking off my fishing season!
A quick paddle later we were at our spot. It was my first time rigged up with a bobber and Jay showed me how I would know when to reel in. Then we anchored up and threw out our lines. Fairly soon after that I got my first bite. It was the first time I ever had a fish fight me and it was exciting to hear the trout pull some drag off my line. Jay helped me net it into the kayak and we measured it out to be 21"!
Image
There were some bites here and there after that. Then some of the others out there began to filter out, which was nice. Just as I was starting to get tired I saw my bobber go under and started to reel it in. Jay noticed I was working hard to get it up and he grabbed the net, ready to help me if I needed it. Soon we saw the trout pop up out of the water and Jay says "Oh my God it's a big one!" I was just worried about not losing it! The closer the trout got to the kayak the more excited we both got, and the more worried we got that it would break off! Finally I got the fish in the boat. Without even measuring it he said "It's a citation" I got really excited! A 27 incher!!!
Image
Image
I had pretty much called it a night after that! We both couldn't believe that not only did I catch a pretty good sized trout on my first time around, but then I caught my first citation ever! The waders he bought me beforehand ended up being a good investment!





Image

No comments:

Post a Comment